The pilot is designed to attract foreign nationals to small and rural communities in Ontario in order to fill labor market needs that are not being filled by local talent.
Since the Regional Immigration Pilot program works within the existing Employer Job Offer stream, foreign nationals will have to meet the requirements of one of the three categories within this stream in order to be eligible for the pilot program.
The OINP has selected the following communities to participate in the pilot: Chatham-Kent; Cornwall; and Belleville/Quinte West. These communities were selected based on specific skilled labor challenges; their ability to support foreign nationals settling in their communities and interest from the communities.
An active business for the past three years
• Business premises in Ontario;
• In compliance with all the employment, health and safety legislation;
• If located in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA): minimum of $1,000,000 in gross annual revenue and ¬ve full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents;
• If located outside GTA: minimum of $500,000 in gross annual revenue and three full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
• For the Foreign Worker Stream only: Demonstrate recruitment efforts if the applicant is living outside Canada or is working in Canada but outside Ontario o If the applicant is currently working in Ontario, this requirement is waived.